Posting to the blog will be exclusively from the two Apple iPhones we have with us. Both text and photos can be posted instantly, providing we have cell or wifi service.
For tracking, we will be using a program called GPS Tracker, which was designed by InstaMapper. InstaMapper is a free service that allows you to track a GPS-enabled cell phone online in real time. This app will allow us to upload our position and then have it automatically plotted on an interactive Google map. The map updates automatically every few seconds. We will have a map embedded in this blog so people can follow our progress.
Using the link, you should be able to track our trip live. Click the link below to see where we are:
http://www.instamapper.com/ext?key=15998477696005159192
Another program I will be checking out is GPS Kit, which is a fairly full-featured GPS application for the iPhone. It features route tracking, waypoints, and maps.



Fortunately, the maps actually cache so they work outside of wifi or cell range. We will see how this works out. Both Steve and John have dedicated GPS units, so I will be using these from the iPhone just to test the utility of the programs and see how well they work out in the wilderness.

For photography, I will have along my Nikon D200 with a Nikkor 18-200 zoom and 12 gigabytes of storage space, broken up between a 4gb and an 8gb card. That should give me enough space for 1500+ photos. The 18-200 lens is compact and covers a tremendous range. I will be carrying the camera and lens in a padded camera bag, inside my tank bag. I need quick and easy access and as much safety for the equipement as I can get. This solution isn't ideal, but I will have to make it work.
I will also have a Nikon CoolPix 5600 in my pocket at all times.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.