Saturday, July 18, 2009

First Camera Test

We will be documenting our journey across America's back roads with video and stills, so I took to the streets of Key West recently to test a new camera mount from RAM MOUNTS. The mount consists of the parts listed here. I am using the 1" series ball mounts with: handlebar base, 3" arm and a quarter/20 male thread camera plate.

The camera in the test is the Canon S3iS. I have had this camera for a couple of years and I chose it specifically because it does 30 fps video. It also takes nice 6mp stills and has two very key features: 1, a good size lcd that can flip in almost ANY direction. 2, capability of attaching or removing a canon wide lens with the touch of a button. It takes me 1/2 a second to go from normal to wide lens. This is really key for shots where you are very close to the subject like in this test video.
Results: The Buell has alot of shake at around 1200 rpm and i dont think any mount will nullify it. However, once the rpms are in the normal range it looks like the image will be acceptable enough for a hard mounted bike camera. Audio gets a bit too distorted by wind so Im going to look for a fix for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.